Saturday, April 17, 2010

Stop asking "Why?". Start asking "Why Not?"

Tattoos of the beautiful Dallas Green (mmmmmmmmmm)
found here



My parents are sitting in the lounge, in silence. Dad is on his laptop, Mum is reading the paper. This is a normal thing for a Sunday afternoon in our house, which I think shows my parents' personalities to a tee. They are reserved and quiet but curious, so they seek information from the outside world.

I showed my Dad the picture above - describing Dallas's work as "beautiful" - to which Dad snapped:

"No, it isn't. It's repulsive and disgusting. In my day, only convicts and bikers had tattoos. No one who matters in society has tattoos."

So I don't matter to society, Dad?

I normally drop the tattoo conversation as soon as it begins with my parents (more specifically my Dad) as they seem to have strong negative views on this art-form. It makes me really upset because I love tattoos so much.

That brings me to beginning the "Why Not?" movement.

The "Why not?" Excitement list:

1. Tattoo gun.

I saw a tattoo gun on trademe (The local ebay/craigslist for New Zealand). I've been quite curious for a while now, so with a little encouragement from my Natalie (bffl), I decided "Why not?" and purchased. I will update on the situation when my parcel is delivered to my bffl's house and I have a play. There was no way I would be able to get that bad boy delivered to my house. My parent's would FLIP. Oh well, they should start thinking "Why not?" also.

2. Nannies Abroad.

My beautiful best friend Natalie and I have decided we want to go to the USA as an Au Pair - a nanny. There are soooo many families looking to take on international nannies that it seemed like a logical choice. The ads are attractive so I've started asking my friends who have children if I can babysit their babies to get some more experience. I told my Mum and Dad about it and Dad was quick to tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't go, but Mum informs me it's because Dad doesn't want me to leave. That's sweet, Daddy, but time to realise I'm almost 21 - ready to start an amazing adventure!

So, next time you have an important decision to make, take a step back and think "Why not?". I've decided I'm a quality-of-life type of person, wanting to make myself as happy as possible so it's about time I got optimistic and started going for what I want.

Yes. xo

3 comments:

  1. Good on you Ruth, I hope everything works out the way you want it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes. Haha oh your dad makes me giggle, in a 'im glad hes not my dad but i know he loves you' kind of way. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and you dad may disagree on stuff but Always love and respect him and what he has to say.One day you may understand.I don't have my parents anymore but wish I did.
    You are welcome to read my blogs and comment!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete